This is a free event but you must register - please see attachment.
Please join us on Friday, June 23rd for a tour of the Capital Regional District's Hartland Landfill and the Residual Treatment Facility. On this tour we will learn how the CRD safely and responsibly manages the region's garbage and residual solids, and waste reduction and diversion programs. This tour will also provide insights into the planning and operation of these sites in the short and long-term, their role in our everyday lives, and how these services may evolve and adapt over time.
The tour of the Hartland Landfill will be guided by Drew Farad, Supervisor of Safety and Technical Services with the CRD. The tour of the Residual Treatment Facility will be joint presentation by Ben Christianson, Engineer and Manager of the Facility, and his colleague Randy Santos (Team Lead of Facility). Drew, Ben, and Randy are all very passionate about what they do and will encourage discourse, curiosity and an eagerness to learn, so please come with questions!
We need you to bring Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) if you want to join this tour! While we encourage learning and fun, we do need you to be safe. The tour will require that you wear a hardhat, safety glasses, boots (steel toe preferred), and a safety vest. If you do not have your own PPE (boots are the exception) then there will be spares, but this is on a first come first serve basis and there is not enough for everyone! Best to plan ahead.
Event Overview (click here to view the event poster):
- Attendees park in the parking lot next to the Mount Work Regional Park – Hartland South Island Mountain Bike Society Parking Lot at 12:45 PM
- Tour of Hartland Landfill begins at 1:00 PM – 2:45 PM
- Attendees will meet back at parking lot and drive to next location 2:45 PM – 2:55 PM
- Attendees to park along the road right of way outside of the Residual Treatment Facility
- Tour of the Residual Treatment Facility 3:00 PM to 4:30 PM
- Group debrief at 4:30 PM to 4:45 PM (optional)
There is a hard limit of 25 total persons for these tours. No exceptions. Substitutes welcome with approval of registrar.
Click here or on the EVENT LINK below to register.