CPL Reporting Information
All professional members of PIBC in British Columbia & Yukon (including all active Certified members or RPPs, practicing Fellows and Candidate members) are required, as stipulated in PIBC’s bylaws, to undertake and report 18 learning units of continuous professional learning (CPL) activities each reporting period (each calendar year) as follows:
• A total minimum of 18.0 learning units of CPL activities
• A minimum of 9.0 Organized & Structured Learning Units of CPL activities
• A maximum of up to 9.0 Independent & Self-Directed learning units of CPL activities.
Helpful Quick Links for CPL Program & Reporting Information
- Click here to access the About the CPL Program page for detailed information about the CPL program
- Click here to visit the Latest CPL Updates page for key current CPL information and updates
- Click here for CPL frequently asked questions (FAQs)
- Click here for a copy of the complete PIBC CPL System Guide
For technical online issues, you can send us your CPL reporting information (such as who hosted the event, the title of the event, when and where details, etc.) in an Excel spread sheet and email to email@example.com, if needed.
Reporting CPL Activities & Learning Units
To obtain learning unit (LU) credit for professional learning activities and meet the requirements of the CPL system, members must login online and self-report their activity details and applicable LUs to PIBC each calendar year. Members are strongly encouraged to report their CPL activities and LUs throughout the year as each activity is completed to ensure timely, accurate reporting and to avoid any reporting backlog at the end of each year.
Key information members will need to have before going online to report and submit their completed CPL activities and LUs include:
- The type of each learning activity (organized & structured, or independent & self-directed), and
- The learning activity provider (the individual or organization who put on each activity or event), and
- The title or very short description of each learning activity, and
- The date of each learning activity (month, day, and year), and
- The number of applicable Learning Units (LUs) for the activity based on the calculation method(s) & guidelines outlined in the PIBC CPL System Guide.
When going online to report their CPL activities and LUs, members should visit the PIBC website and follow the links to the online member login. Members can log in using their PIBC username (email address on file) and password, and then access the online CPL reporting form to report and submit their CPL activities and corresponding learning units. Members can also view their current summary of CPL activities online.
Once logged in, members will find the CPL reporting link under the ‘All About Me’ section of the main ‘My Member Console’ home page. On the CPL page, a summary of the member’s CPL activities for the current calendar year will display, along with a button link to ‘Add’ new CPL activities. Members should click the ‘Add’ button to open up the online reporting form, then enter and save all the information about each of their CPL activities and applicable LUs. Once the information for an activity is entered, members can either ‘Save’ the activity or can continue to report additional activities by selecting the ‘Add another’ button link at the bottom of the form. To avoid technical problems members may prefer to enter and save each activity individually one at a time.
In some cases, for many CIP and PIBC activities, members may be able to find them on searchable drop-down lists available through the online reporting form. In such cases the applicable activities can be selected and the activity information will automatically populate the fields of the online form accordingly. Otherwise, all the particulars of each and any activity can be manually entered into the applicable fields on the form and saved.
Members should use one entry for each event or activity. For any event or activity that was longer than one day, simply enter the date the activity was completed (i.e. the last day of the event) as the activity date. Members can also mention the multi-day duration of the event or activity as part of the title or short description. Members should be sure to report the cumulative total LUs for the entire event or activity as part of the submission.
CPL Information & Links
For complete and detailed information on the CPL program be sure to click, download and carefully review the PIBC CPL System Guide. For technical instructions on how to report CPL activities and learning units online, be sure to click, download and carefully review the step-by-step CPL Reporting Instructions.