PIBC Student Membership
PIBC is a membership-based professional organization with opportunities for professional practitioners in the planning field, students and others alike to join or get involved.
Become a Student Member
Becoming a non-corporate Student Member of PIBC is an excellent opportunity for post-secondary planning students to get connected with the planning profession, network with established professional planning practitioners, take advantage of the services and benefits of the Institute offered to Student Members, and build their future career in planning.
For a complete overview of the benefits of Student Membership please download the following
Eligibility for Student Membership.
A Student Member is a post-secondary planning student who:
- Is currently enrolled in a university planning school/program which is formally accredited by the Professional Standards Board (PSB) - the national assessment body that is recognized by the Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP)/PIBC. For information on which university planning schools/programs are currently recognized by the PSB, click here.
- Agrees to abide by the Institute’s bylaws.
Applying for Student Membership
Student Membership includes equivalent joint membership with the CIP. Eligible students wishing to apply for Student Membership should download, complete and submit the following application form:
Membership Options for Other Students
Students enrolled in other schools or programs which are not CIP recognized Planning programs can join PIBC as non-corporate Public Subscriber. Becoming an Public Subscriber provides a connection to the profession and some of the same benefits and services.
Student Membership Renewal (current process until any changes will apply):
All Student members who applied and joined as members of PIBC in September 2019 or later, will be automatically renewed and continue as Student members until December 31, 2020. If you are in this group of Student members you will not be required to go online and renew your membership for 2020. However you should be sure to keep your online membership login information and password to access PIBC's online database in the future. You can continue to use the system to update your contact information, find members, and access other services.
- If you have completed your studies, graduated, and are now employed in planning, you should now apply for Candidate membership with PIBC to continue your professional membership. This is the first step to eventually becoming a Certified Member and Registered Professional Planner (RPP). For information about Candidate membership and how to apply, visit the 'Join' section of the PIBC website: https://www.pibc.bc.ca/join-candidate-member.
- If you have completed your studies and graduated any time before December 31, 2018, but are not yet employed in planning and wish to continue membership in PIBC, you should now apply for a new category of membership with PIBC: Pre-Candidate membership. For information about Pre-Candidate membership and how to apply, visit the 'Join' section of the PIBC website: https://www.pibc.bc.ca/join-pre-candidate.
- If you have completed your studies and graduated any time after December 31, 2018, but are not yet employed in planning and wish to continue membership in PIBC, you should contact PIBC right away to request a one-year extension to your Student membership eligibility. This will enable you to continue as a Student member for an additional year, until December 31, 2020. You will need to contact PIBC in writing (by email) and provide documentation to confirm your recent graduation. See below for contact information.
- If your studies in your university planning program have extended longer than originally anticipated, and you are still currently enrolled in the program, you should contact PIBC right away to request an extension to your Student membership eligibility. This will enable you to continue as a Student member for until you complete your studies and graduate. You will need to contact PIBC in writing (by email) and provide documentation to confirm your continued enrolment in your university planning program. We will check with the universities about the current stand of each student. See below for contact information.
- Finally, if you no longer wish to continue with membership in PIBC, you should contact PIBC in writing (by email) to notify us. Thank you.