Honourary & Life Members
PIBC maintains two distinguished opportunities to recognize and honour individuals outside of the Institute's professional membership who have contributed significantly to planning or to the Institute (Honourary Membership) as well as honouring accomplished, long-serving professional members of the Institute worthy of special distinction ("Life Member" designation).
The call for submissions and nominations is now closed. Please check back soon for upcoming nomination details.
Honourary Membership is the highest and most distinguished honour that PIBC can bestow upon an individual who themselves is outside the planning profession but who has made a significant contribution to planning or to the Institute. It is a rare and prestigious honour which affords PIBC the opportunity to recognize such uniquely worthy individuals. The admission of any individual to Honourary Membership is made by PIBC Council in accordance with the Institute’s bylaws, and at their sole discretion.
Recent Honourary Members
- 2018 - Gary Paget, Senior Executive Advisor, Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing
- 2017 - Dr. Larry McCann, Emeritus Faculty, University of Victoria, Geography Department
- 2016 - Norman Hotson AIC, AA, OAA, FRAIC, RCA - Principal at DIALOG
- 2015 - Darlene Marzari, Social Planner & former MLA for the Legislative Assembly of BC
- 2014 - Grand Chief Stewart Phillip, President of Union of British Columbia Indian Chiefs & Chair of the Okanagan Nation Alliance
"Life Member" Designation:
Established in 2014, the designation as a “Life Member” is the highest and most distinguished honour that PIBC can bestow upon a long-serving professional member of the Institute who is worthy of significant recognition. It is a rare and prestigious honour developed by Council, which affords PIBC the opportunity to recognize such uniquely worthy members. The granting of the “Life Member” designation to a member is made by and at the discretion of PIBC Board, upon nomination of that member by at least two corporate members of the Institute.
Recent Life Member Designations:
- 2018 - Beverly Grieve RPP, MCIP
- 2017 - no Life Member designation awarded
- 2016 - Jagdev Dhillon (Ret.)
- 2015 - no Life Member designation awarded
- 2014 - Gerard Farry (Ret.)
Honouary & Life Members - 2019 Call for Submissions & Nominations is Now Closed.
The deadline for submissions was 4:00 PM (Pacific) on Friday, May 24, 2019.
PIBC welcomed submissions for suggested nominees for Honourary Membership, and nominations of members for designation as "Life Members" of the Institute. Below are the submission packages and forms [PDF]: