PIBC annually recognizes the professional work and individual accomplishments of members across British Columbia and Yukon through its awards and recognition programs. The PIBC Awards Committee has developed the various awards categories to reflect the diverse range of excellent planning work undertaken across British Columbia and Yukon.
PIBC 2023 Awards
The 2023 PIBC Awards winners were announced and recognized during the PIBC 2023 Annual Conference - It Takes A Village (May 30 - June 2, 2023) in Sun Peaks, BC.
- Click here to read the PIBC 2023 Awards article in Planning West magazine.
- Click here to read the PIBC 2023 Awards press release.
- Click here to watch the PIBC 2023 Awards presentation video.
About the Awards Program
The Institute’s Awards program includes the following types of awards:
Awards for Excellence in Planning
These awards honour the best in professional planning work undertaken by members in communities and regions across British Columbia and Yukon in six categories:
- Enduring Planning Performance *NEW*
- Excellence in Policy Planning - Small Town & Rural Areas
- Excellence in Policy Planning - City and Urban Areas
- Excellence in Planning Practice - Small Town & Rural Areas
- Excellence in Planning Practice - City and Urban Areas
- Research & New Directions in Planning
Awards for Individual Achievement
These awards recognizes the efforts of individual PIBC members and is based on the impact of a nominee's work and personal commitment to planning and the effect that they have in their community and within the planning profession in three categories:
- Distinguished Professional Contribution
- Leadership in Advocacy & Innovation
- Young Professional Leadership
Honourary & Life Members
PIBC maintains two distinguished opportunities to recognize and honour individuals outside of the Institute's professional membership who have contributed significantly to planning or to the Institute (Honourary Membership) as well as honouring accomplished, long-serving professional members of the Institute worthy of special distinction (Life Member designation).
2023 nominations closed on March 5, 2023. Click here to learn more about Honourary & Life Members.
In recognition of the work of Student members and their contribution as future planning professionals, PIBC supports a range of awards and funding opportunities for Student members. As part of the Institute’s ongoing commitment to nurturing excellence in future professional planners, and to supporting Student members, PIBC has established specific awards and financial support mechanisms for Student members in good standing enrolled at Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP) Recognized Planning Schools and/or Programs in British Columbia and Yukon.