Employer/Organization: City of New Westminster
Closing: January 27th 2021 4:30 PM PST
DEPARTMENT: Development Services
NO. OF POSITIONS: One
UNION: CUPE, Local 387
HOURS OF WORK: 35 hours per week*
SALARY: $50,093 - $58,878 annually (2019 rates)
The City of New Westminster is looking for an enthusiastic person to fill a Planning Assistant position. Our successful candidate will play a key role in providing information to the public or City staff on zoning, regulations and bylaws, and answer public inquiries about policy and development projects. You will provide technical and administrative support to the Division‘s planners on City-wide, neighbourhood and subject specific projects, and may also research community planning issues and prepare background reports.
- Grade 12 supplemented by supplemented by technical courses, preferably at the Bachelors Degree or Applied Urban Planning Diploma level related to the work plus sound related experience, preferably in a Municipal Planning Department, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Knowledge of the relevant sections of the Zoning Bylaw, the Official Community Plan, regulations, policies and provisions applicable to the work.
- Knowledge of basic planning principles.
- Ability to provide a variety of detailed information, assistance and interpretations and to employ contemporary service excellence principles when liaising with internal and external contacts.
- Ability to perform research in support of planning issues, to prepare concise reports and to maintain records.
- Ability to perform assigned duties with minimal supervision.
- Ability to function effectively as a team player.
- Ability to read, understand and interpret various construction plans and specifications.
- Driver’s License for the Province of British Columbia
- Ability to effectively use the Microsoft Office Suite of products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) as well as graphics software (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Picassa).
- Preference for those with GIS, Tempest and Cityviews experience.
- Experience with social media functions and software.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
Apply by sending your resume quoting competition #21-09, by January 27, 2021 to the Human Resources Department, City of New Westminster, 511 Royal Avenue, New Westminster, BC, V3L 1H9, Fax: (604)527-4619 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The City of New Westminster welcomes diversity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals.
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.