Employer/Organization: District of Hope
Closing: June 16th 2023 12:00 PM PST
Competition No.: 2023-05
Department: Community Development
Close Date June 16 th , 2023 @ 12:00pm
Schedule: 35 hours/week, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday – Friday
Position Type: Union
Posting Type: External applications
Compensation: 2023 wage $42.94/hour
The District of Hope is currently seeking Planner III to join our team. This this position will assist in achieving an efficient operation in the Community Development Department through reliable performance in technical, field and office work and ensuring the security of confidential material pertaining to the department’s operation and as directed, will perform other work associated with the Community Development Department and other related duties that may be assigned. Assignments and responsibilities are performed under the general supervision of and performance is subject to review, inspection and annual performance evaluation by the Director of Community Development.
Responsibilities include; but are not limited to:
- is responsible for the co-ordination and processing of development and subdivision applications; investigating and reporting to the Director of Community Development and Council on the various applications; investigating and reporting on technical problems on the various applications;
- is responsible for obtaining data by visual site inspections, map analysis and information sources, performing statistical analysis and drafting and design tasks;
- is responsible for making decisions on department matters respecting land use regulations in accordance with Council policies and bylaws;
- is required to obtain data for land use, population, floor area distribution, employment and economics, etc. from governmental records, existing information and from other sources and present data in clear and concise form;
- is responsible for consolidating and maintaining electronic and manual records, maps,
- charts, graphs and other material for interpretation; when appointed by Council, is responsible for fulfilling the role of Approving Officer and for carrying out duties of that office in accordance with the requirements of the Land Title Act;
- is responsible to liaison with the Economic Development Office;
- is responsible to respond to inquiries from members of the public regarding all development related matters;
- is responsible for development control matters including review and reporting on projects related to land use, zoning and urban renewal;
- is responsible to for the development of new and improved work procedures, policies, bylaws and upon receipt of approval, implement same;
- is responsible to for the preparation of Council reports and recommendations pertaining to the Community Development Department matters.
- Performs other related duties as required
Qualifications include; but are not limited to:
- Must have a degree in urban geography or community planning combined with a minimum five years experience in a comparable or related position;
- Must have working knowledge of the various government agencies involved in the matters of planning and subdivision and sound knowledge in application approval procedures;
- Must have a sound knowledge of the principles, practices and objective of long range strategic planning in an urban context;
- Must have the ability to read, interpret and understand engineering, architectural, building and site plans, designs, specifications and legal concepts related to land use regulations;
- Must have a sound knowledge of municipal bylaws, zoning/OCP regulations and other pertinent regulations/policies pertaining to the operation of the department;
- Must be able to co-ordinate the work with other staff members;
- Must be able to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with elected and departmental officials and other members of staff and be tactful, courteous and diplomatic with developers and the general public;
- Must be able to communicate effectively, both orally and in written format, with sound knowledge and ability to prepare and present technical and non technical reports;
- Must be in possession of a valid BC Drivers License.
The incumbent may be required to travel in the performance of the duties of the position. The incumbent, upon hiring, will have union dues deducted from source in accordance with the Collective Agreement.
Please submit your cover letter and resume outlining specifically how your experience and qualifications relate to the position.
Your cover letter and resume can be submitted to the attention of Crystal Henry-Schmitz, Human Resources Advisor, via one of the methods below:
Email: email@example.com | Fax: 604-869-2275 |
In Person: 325 Wallace Street, Hope, BC
Mail: PO Box 609, Hope, BC V0X 1L0
The District of Hope thanks all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contact.