Employer/Organization: City of Victoria
Closing: October 5th 2023 4:30 PM PST
Closing date: October 05, 2023
Manager - City Development Processes (Regular Full Time)
Sustainable Planning and Community Development Department
Reporting to the Director of Sustainable Planning and Community Development, the Manager, City Development Processes identifies and advances critical process improvement initiatives associated with the City’s development processes, including rezoning, development permits and building permits. With the objective of maximizing efficiency and improving customer service delivery, the Manager is responsible for developing, implementing and monitoring development process improvement initiatives through engagement and collaboration with other City departments who are stakeholders in the development approvals process. As part of the development review process, the Manager would be responsible for the inter-departmental Technical Review Group operations.
- Manage development process improvement initiatives, including implementation and monitoring, which enable the City to provide high-quality, efficient service delivery in alignment with corporate goals related to housing and economic development.
- Lead interdepartmental change management initiatives associated with the City’s development process; identify risks and issues and facilitate collaboration across departments to ensure accountability and timely mitigation or resolution.
- Conduct a comprehensive, ongoing review of current City development processes to identify and recommend areas of opportunity and prioritize initiatives based on urgency and impact.
- Research and develop options, recommend strategies and determine project plans to achieve improvements in development process efficiency. Identify and recommend future development process transformation projects.
- Develop, implement and track performance metrics, and report on the results of process improvement initiatives.
- Facilitate the inclusion of internal/external stakeholder input into the identification and implementation of development processes.
- Represent development process issues to impacted City departments, outside organizations, government agencies and the public.
- Collaborate with building owners, consultants, contractors and developers of public and private developments to understand and seek resolutions to development process related issues; respond to public service requests and complaints.
- Provide professional advice, development process updates and recommendations to senior leadership regarding changes to the development process; prepare reports with recommendations and make presentations to Council.
- Accountable for leading Technical Review Group operations, including identifying and prioritizing Council priority applications and ensuring reviews and comments are completed in accordance with established timelines and are relevant to the permitting process.
- Oversee project team members or departmental representatives that may be assigned from various business areas to execute the project.
- Represent the Employer by recruiting, coaching, mentoring and assessing staff assigned to project teams; provide training on development processes; define work assignments; manage employee conduct, performance and attendance; respond to grievances; and create a safe positive work environment.
- Perform other related activities.
- Master's Degree in urban planning or related field.
- Membership or eligible for membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners
- 6-8 years of progressively responsible supervisory experience, preferably in a municipal urban planning and development setting.
- Demonstrated leadership, facilitation and team building skills.
- A strong working knowledge and understanding of development processes including experience with zoning and land use bylaws, City policies that inform development, and permitting processes.
- Proven track record in the management and development of professional and technical staff, preferably within a unionized environment.
- Excellent project management skills, with ability to initiate, plan, execute and close continuous improvement initiatives at an organizational, departmental and operational level.
- Ability to work with a high degree of independent judgment.
- Ability to build strategic networks and partnerships with various internal and external stakeholders, with strong consensus-building, and influencing skills.
- Strong communication skills.
Work schedule: Monday to Friday, 8:00am - 4:30pm (35 hour work week)
Pay Band 6 ($117,732.82 to $138,510.41)
Job Code #3229
This is an exempt position
To apply for this opportunity you will need to create an online profile or log back in to our career portal at www.victoria.ca/jobs - only online submission will be considered. All applications must be submitted online by 4:30 pm on the closing date noted on the posting. Please be prepared to provide proof of qualifications and supporting materials as outlined in your resume.
At the City of Victoria, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.
If you require assistance, please email us at email@example.com.