Employer/Organization: City of Richmond
Closing: December 12th 2022 11:30 PM PST
Reporting to the Program Coordinator - Development, the Planning Technician is responsible for the technical review of a variety of land use and development applications, research and preparation of staff reports to Planning Committee, Development Permit Panel, and in response to Council referrals. The successful candidate also provides design knowledge and assistance with the design functions of the department. Specific types of applications reviewed include: Re-zonings, Strata Title Conversions, Development Variance Permits, Temporary Use Permits, simple Development Permits, and General Compliance requests.
Examples of Key Accountabilities include, but are not limited to:
- Processing simple rezoning applications, Official Community Plan (OCP) amendments, lot size policy amendments, development permits, development permits, development variance permits, general compliance, applications, and temporary use permit applications.
- Analyzing proposals to ensure compliance with applicable City bylaws, OCP design guidelines, pertinent statutes and current City planning goals and objectives.
- Negotiating with developers, architects and other external professionals to find creative solutions to ensure municipal and public concerns are addressed while also achieving urban design excellence.
- Researching and preparing reports to the Planning Committee, Development Permit Panel, Board of Variance and City Council.
- Attending and presenting at Planning Committee and Development Permit Panel meetings, as required.
- Responding to internal and external customer inquiries pertaining to current development applications.
- Interpreting bylaws, policies and guidelines, as required.
- Performing data collection and analysis.
- Participating in area planning processes and recommending policy proposals for City Council consideration.
- Conducting site visits, as required.
- Preparing consultation materials, attending public consultation meetings and community information sessions, as required.
- Providing technical support to the Program Coordinator – Development, and Director of Development, as required.
Qualifications and Experience
- A Bachelor Degree in a planning or related discipline (i.e. geography, planning, urban studies, etc). A total of up to and including one year of related work experience in land use planning, or other planning related field. Experience in a Municipal setting is preferred. An equivalent combination of job-related training and experience may be considered.
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s Licence for the Province of BC.
- Valid membership, or eligibility for membership, in the Planning Institute of BC/Canadian, Institute of Planners, or Architectural Institute of BC is preferred.
Applications will be accepted until: Monday, December 12th, 2022.
If you are a person with a disability and require accommodation and/or assistance during the application process, please contact us in advance at email@example.com. We strive to provide reasonable accommodations whenever requested.