Employer/Organization: City of Vancouver
Closing: July 14th 2019 12:00 AM PST
Planner II (Employment Lands and Economy Review)
Requisition ID: 13913
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The City of Vancouver requires the services of a professional planner to assist with the completion of the Employment Lands and Economy Review (ELER). Reporting to a senior planner, the Planner II will be tasked with the day to day management of the ELER project, stakeholder engagement and policy development work. This is a professional position that involves managing junior staff and consultants.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Project management.
- Policy analysis.
- Design and execute stakeholder engagement initiatives.
- Supervise junior staff, clerical staff and consultants.
- Prepare and disseminate communication materials.
- Write reports, facilitate meetings and present to other staff, management, external stakeholders and City Council.
- Provide direction and guidance to the work of professional consultants engaged by the City.
- Support and facilitate public consultations including community events, workshops and meetings (including weekday evenings and weekends)
Education and Experience:
- A university graduate degree in planning or related discipline recognized by the Canadian Institute of Planners with progressive experience related to the duties and responsibilities of the position (minimum of 2 years’ professional experience); or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Education in economics would be an asset.
- Membership or eligibility for membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners is desired.
- Experience supervising and delegating work.
- Experience related to the duties and responsibilities of the position is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- In depth knowledge of economic development and land use issues in Vancouver is required.
- Proven ability to manage complex and controversial policy planning projects is required.
- Ability to exercise initiative and sound judgement in managing workload while delivering complex projects on time and on budget.
- Proven experience developing urban planning policy in a multi-stakeholder environment, including the use of conflict resolution and interest-based mediation skills to achieve mutually agreeable solutions.
- Ability to clearly communicate complex issues through Council reports and presentations, or comparable documentation and presentations.
- Knowledge of City of Vancouver processes and project management methodologies would be an asset.
Business Unit/Department: Planning, Urban Design & Sustainability (1275)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: August, 2019
Position End Date: August, 2020
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-031: $48.78 to $57.70 per hour
Application Close: July 14, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.