Employer/Organization: City of New Westminster
Closing: December 7th 2021 4:30 PM PST
Our Climate Action, Planning and Development department has an exciting opportunity for a Development Planner to guide projects through the development approvals process and to undertake multi-disciplinary work within a team environment. Under the direction of the Senior Manager and the Supervisor, you will work to ensure development projects are consistent with the City’s objectives and bylaws, including those related to land use, community benefits, transportation management, housing and social strategies, economic development and environmental protection. You will be working towards improvements in the development approvals process through the review and refinement of procedures and policies; managing the review of rezoning and other development applications in a timely manner; leading the negotiation of community amenities arising from projects; liaising with applicants, other City staff, professionals and the public; preparing reports and bylaw amendments; and makingpresentations to community groups, City advisory committees and Council.
If many of the following characteristics and skills describe you, we want to meet you!
- You have a Master’s Degree in urban planning or a related discipline, with considerable work experience in developmentplanning or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- You are eligible for membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners.
- You have knowledge of best practices in community planning particularly at the local government level.
- You have an understanding of the legal and other best practices and tools applicable to the development approvals process for mixed-use and medium to high-density developments including sustainable development principles, community engagement and project management.
- You are proficient in creating and applying urban design principles and design guidelines in the evaluation of complexdevelopment projects.
- You are experienced in the development review process, particularly at the municipal level, from initial enquiry to Building Permitapplication.
- You have experience with economic, environmental, cultural and social considerations in the evaluation of developmentprojects.
- You have experience with urban land economics, including the review of development pro formas and the use of financinggrowth tools such as amenity negotiations and density bonus policies.
- You have a track record of being creative and exercising sound judgment in a fast paced work environment while managing multiple tasks and resolving conflicts.
- You are able to work proficiently on your own or as part of an interdepartmental team in moving forward assignmentsand/or projects in a timely and efficient manner.
- You can express ideas effectively both orally and in a written manner to a variety of audiences.
- You have the natural ability to successfully engage other employees, professionals, Council, City committees and the public, andto convey clearly, the principles and requirements of sound planning and development.
Apply by sending your cover letter and resume in one document quoting the competition number, by December 7, 2021 to the Human Resources Department, City of New Westminster, 511 Royal Avenue, New Westminster, BC, V3L 1H9, e- mail to firstname.lastname@example.org using the following format in the subject line: LAST NAME First Name #21-158
To support a workforce that reflects the diversity of our community; women, Indigenous Peoples, racialized individuals, persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression(LGBTQ2S+), persons with disabilities, and others who may contribute to diversity of our workforce, are encouraged to express their interest.
New Westminster is on the unceded and unsurrendered land of the Halq'eméylem-speaking peoples.
It is acknowledged by the City that colonialism has made invisible their histories and connections to the land.
We are learning and building relationships with the people whose lands we are on.