Employer/Organization: City of Richmond
Closing: February 1st 2022 11:59 PM PST
In this exciting role in the Development Applications Department, you will assist in several activities related to current planning and development applications review. This professional community planning position requires the incumbent to possess a robust knowledge of planning issues and the ability to apply professional principles and theory to various municipal planning projects. The position is primarily responsible for reviewing land development applications including rezoning, development variance permit and development permit applications.
Examples of key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Analyse complex community planning issues and proposals to achieve creative solutions.
- Prepare community planning policies.
- Prepare community planning bylaws (i.e. Official Community Plan (OCP), zoning amendment bylaws).
- Review development applications (i.e. Rezoning, Development Permit, Development Variance Permits).
- Work with senior planning staff to provide urban design expertise (i.e. when reviewing development applications).
- Provide research and data management.
- Liaise with City advisory committees, community groups, developers, professionals (i.e. architects, consultants), general public and external agencies.
- Present and respond to questions at Council meetings, Planning Committee meetings, Development Permit Panel meetings, Advisory Design Panel meetings, public meetings and Public Hearings.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of community planning practices, principles, techniques, methods and procedures in a municipal setting.
- Ability to perform professional community planning work under general supervision.
- Ability to provide community planning services.
- Ability to coordinate and manage interests.
- Ability to communicate professionally (i.e. writing planning reports and speaking to the general public).
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and professionals and to transmit clearly the principles and requirements of sound planning and development.
- Ability to produce quality work in terms of the quality of information, option, analysis, recommendations, customer service, communication, team building and workload management.
- Ability to manage multiple work deadlines.
- Skill in using computer software such as Arcview, Amanda, AutoCad, Photoshop and Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Ability to use REDMS or a similar records document management system.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A Master’s degree or a Bachelor’s degree with professional designation and a total of over 1 year of professional planning experience, preferably in a municipal environment, OR an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- A valid Class 5 Driver’s Licence for the Province of British Columbia.
This work is performed primarily in an office environment. The incumbent will have to balance multiple tasks simultaneously amidst changing priorities and demands, filtering out distractions and working effectively with applicants who are under pressure.
The City of Richmond has a Covid-19 Vaccination Policy which requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination by December 20th, 2021 as a condition of employment.