Employer/Organization: Urban Systems Ltd.
Closing: March 1st 2021 9:00 AM PST
About the Opportunity
Our thriving Kelowna office is looking to add a talented and enthusiastic Community Planner to join our existing team of professional planners, engineers, and other professionals serving clients and communities across British Columbia. Successful candidates will have experience providing professional planning services to a variety of local government settings including municipalities, regional districts and indigenous communities. This opportunity presents the successful candidate a significant opportunity to directly contribute to the growth of Urban Systems’ established Kelowna planning practice, drawing on resources both locally and across our Western Canada branches.
The Urban Systems community planning practice thrives at providing professional planning services to clients who are dealing with the interconnections between governance, policy, finance, community design and land use, mobility, and infrastructure. More and more of our clients are looking for innovative ideas and customized solutions based on an integrated perspective of these fields.
The community planning practice in the Kelowna branch provides consulting services on an array of planning projects. This includes but is certainly not limited to:
- Official Community Plan updates, neighbourhood plans, comprehensive development plans, and area sector plans;
- Zoning Bylaw updates including entire bylaw reviews and issues-specific amendments;
- Development Cost Charge studies and bylaws;
- Community engagement initiatives for projects in the form of pop-up booths at community events, online engagement tools, and World Cafes, amongst others
- Parks and trails master planning;
- Other municipal bylaws, regulations, and policies (e.g., traffic bylaw, blasting bylaw, subdivision and development servicing bylaw);
- Municipal finance associated with infrastructure cost recovery and asset management; and
- Fostering partnerships with different local governments, Indigenous communities, provincial agencies, and community organizations in the interest of making progress on addressing common issues amongst our clients.
As communities continue to become more complex, so too does the planning profession and the demands of our clients. We are looking for a well-rounded and motivated individual that is passionate about planning and working with local communities in British Columbia’s beautiful Okanagan Valley.
Due to COVID-19, the opportunity to work remotely and from home does exist. Thinking beyond the COVID-19 pandemic, it is expected that the Community Planner be available to partake in activities in-person, such as attending meetings, participating in branch activities, and collaborating on projects. Therefore, the individual would need to reside in Kelowna.
How to Apply
If this describes your background, your skills and your natural talents, please check out our website for more information and submit your resume, cover letter and samples of your work.
Deadline for applications: Monday, March 1, 2021 at 9:00 am PST