Employer/Organization: City of New Westminster
Closing: August 30th 2019 9:30 AM PST
Position Vacancy: Senior Development Planner (Planner 2)
DEPARTMENT: Development Services
STATUS: Full Time
NO. OF POSITIONS: One
UNION: CUPE, Local 387
HOURS OF WORK: 35 hours per week
SALARY: $ 85,376 - $ 101,009 annually
The Development Services Department requires a Senior Development Planner to lead complex planning projects through the development approvals process and to undertake multi-disciplinary work within a team environment. Under the direction of the Senior Manager, Development Services and the Supervisor of Development Planning, you will work to ensure development projects conform to the City’s objectives and bylaws, including those related to land use, community benefits, transportation management, housing and social strategies, economic development and environmental protection. Specific duties will include: working towards improvements in the development approvals process through the review and refinement of procedures and policies; managing the review of rezoning and development applications in a timely manner; leading the negotiation of community amenities arising from projects; liaising with applicants, other City staff, professionals and the public; preparing reports and bylaw amendments; and making presentations to community groups, City advisory committees and Council.
- A Master’s Degree in urban planning or a related discipline, with considerable work experience in development planning or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Eligible for membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners.
- Advanced knowledge of best practices in community planning particularly at the local government level.
- Understanding of the legal and other best practices and tools applicable to the development approvals process for mixed-use and medium to high density developments including sustainable development principles, community engagement and project management.
- Advanced knowledge and expertise in creating and applying urban design principles and design guidelines in the evaluation of complex development projects.
- Considerable experience in development review process facilitation, particularly at the municipal level, from initial enquiry to Building Permit application.
- Significant knowledge of and experience with economic, environmental and social considerations in the evaluation of development projects.
- Knowledge and experience with urban land economics, including the review of development pro formas and the use of financing growth tools such as amenity negotiations and density bonus policies.
- Ability to be creative and exercise sound judgment in a fast paced work environment while managing multiple tasks and resolving conflicts.
- Ability to plan, assign and supervise the work of staff and to lead project teams.
- Demonstrated ability and experience in facilitation, negotiation and conflict resolution.
- Ability to express ideas effectively both orally and in a written manner.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, professionals and the public, and to transmit clearly the principles and requirements of sound planning and development.
Apply by sending your resume quoting competition #19-103, by August 30, 2019 to the Human Resources Department, City of New Westminster, 511 Royal Avenue, New Westminster, BC, V3L 1H9, Fax: (604)527-4619 or e-mail to email@example.com.
We thank all applicants in advance; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The City of New Westminster is committed to employment equity.
We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.