Employer/Organization: City of Duncan
Closing: May 31st 2021 3:00 PM PST
The City of Duncan is seeking an experienced Planner to join the Planning Department to assist with development approvals and community planning projects, in a full-time, temporary (1 year) position, with a possible extension for a second year.
Reporting to the Manager of Planning, the temporary Planner is responsible for assisting in the delivery of community planning, permitting, and development functions of the City of Duncan, the primary responsibilities of this position are as follows:
- Acting as a primary point of contact for initial enquiries about the City’s land use regulations and associated policies, development application requirements, and review of property files;
- Receiving and processing development applications and preparing reports for Council or staff consideration on applications and other planning initiatives;
- Assisting with research, policy development, community engagement, and regulatory implementation;
- Assisting with developing, reviewing, maintaining, and updating various bylaws, policies, website content, guidance materials and internal procedures;
- Preparing background information and visual communication tools for reports on various planning matters;
- Completing or assisting with the preparation of grant applications for City projects;
- Participating in Development Services meetings, and other inter-departmental meetings; and
- Coordinating public hearings and other public meetings, including preparation of notices as required by applicable statutes, regulations, or bylaws.
Necessary skills and qualifications include:
- A graduate degree in community planning or an equivalent related discipline;
- A minimum of three years of related experience in local government land use planning and development, with preference given to BC experience;
- A strong working knowledge of BC legislation, regulations, legal frameworks, and procedures that regulate planning, development, and subdivision;
- Membership, or eligibility for membership, in the Canadian Institute of Planners; and
- Ability to exercise a high degree of independence and sound professional judgement, as well as active participation in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
A cover letter and complete resume of experience, qualifications, and three references will be accepted until 3:00 p.m. Monday, May 31, 2021 and should be submitted to the attention of Human Resources at HR@duncan.ca
This is a full time CUPE union position with an hourly rate of between $41.40 to 46.51 commensurate with your qualifications and experience. This position will be afforded the option of full benefits per the collective agreement, or an amount in lieu of benefits. A detailed job description and required qualifications are available on the City of Duncan website (www.duncan.ca).
We thank all applicants, but only those being considered for interviews will be contacted.