Employer/Organization: City of West Kelowna
Closing: August 26th 2019 11:30 PM PST
PLANNER II – LONG RANGE
Grow your career in one of the best places on earth. Forget the long commute. Kayak or walk on the waterfront at sunrise, put in an honest day’s work, and still have plenty of time for a bike ride or round of golf before sunset. Fill your weekends with wine tours, hiking, mountain biking, downhill or cross country skiing, or boating. Or enjoy one of the many campgrounds within less than an hour’s drive from home.
The City of West Kelowna is a vibrant, growing city located on the west shores of beautiful Okanagan Lake. Our employees consistently achieve remarkable results in a fast paced and innovative environment. The City of West Kelowna’s Planning Department is seeking to fill a permanent, full time position of Planner II.
Position duties and responsibilities:
Reporting to the Planning Manager, the Planner II will assist the Senior Planner in all Long Range planning activities including supporting the Community Visioning project, which is the first phase in revising the City’s Official Community Plan in 2020. The successful candidate will implement the City’s vision in a variety of other projects including updating the City’s Zoning Bylaw and drafting RFP’s, in addition to making recommendations to City Council and Committees while ensuring compliance with applicable legislation. This position will also make recommendations / presentations in a variety of planning projects based on interpretation of statistical, demographic, environmental and other relevant information.
Required skills and qualifications:
- Grade 12 education and Bachelors degree in a planning related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- A minimum of 3 years experience in a related position;
- Eligible for membership in the Planning Institute of British Columbia or the Canadian Institute of Planners;
- Necessary knowledge of local land use policies and regulations, environmental legislation, as well as provincial and federal legislation related to planning;
- Knowledge in land-use planning, environmental information, as well as techniques of analysis and synthesis of information;
- Demonstrated computer skills in Microsoft office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and operating knowledge of Geographic Information Mapping Systems (GIS);
- Basic graphic and mapping skills;
- Strong customer service skills and excellent communication skills – verbal and written;
- The ability to exercise courtesy, tact and diplomacy in the exchange of information with employees and external contacts;
- High attention to detail with superior report writing capability;
- Public presentation experience;
- Valid Class 5 B.C. Drivers License.
Applications are accepted online at www.westkelownacity.ca/jobs. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. Applicants will need to upload their cover letter, resume and drivers abstract when applying.
COMPETITION 19-42E | CLOSES AUGUST 26, 2019 | PAY $36.46