Membership Transfers & Relocation

Membership Transfers Within Canada

As a benefit of being affiliated with the Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP) members in certain categories who permanently relocate to another Canadian province or territory can directly transfer their membership to the appropriate CIP affiliated planning institute or association in that province/territory, without having to re-apply or re-certify.

Membership Transfer Eligibility:
  • Must be either a Certified, Fellow, Retired, Candidate or Student Member of PIBC and CIP.
  • Must be a member in-good-standing at the time of application (i.e. paid all current membership fees, current on CPL reporting requirements, no outstanding disciplinary matters, etc.).
  • Must be permanently relocating (for the foreseeable future) elsewhere, outside of BC and the Yukon.

The following form should be used by members to apply to transfer their membership elsewhere in Canada:

Relocating Outside of Canada?

For members relocating outside of Canada, you can maintain your professoinal membership with PIBC while outside of Canada, provided you continue to stay current with your membership fees and other membership requirements. Relocating members should be aware that professional liability insurance coverage only applies to work undertaken within Canada, and planning work undertaken outside of Canada is not covered.

If you wish to seek formal professional membership or planning certification within a foriegn country, you cannot directly transfer your membership and you should consult with the appropriate professional planning institute or association in that country or location directly regarding your eligibility and the requirements for professional membership there.

Becoming a professional member in certain foreign countries can, in some cases, be expedited for current PIBC and Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP) members thanks to reciprocal agreements negotiated by CIP. These countries and their corresponding professional planning institutes or associations include (click for links to their websites):